Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Sticking My Neck Out

        Last week I treated you to my latest disaster, getting completely buried by posters that leapt from their rack in a craft store. This week I’m going to show you why I wanted one in the first place.

          I decided I needed a background so I could display my Primary Bandlo. My WHAT?  Yes, folks, in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, little kids used to earn awards and rhinestones that could be attached to a felt “Bandlo” (sometimes spelled Bandelo) we’d wear around our necks. Kind of like Scouting badges.  And we did this in the children’s program, called Primary.


          I recently found mine (it hadn’t fossilized—yay!) and decided to put it in a shadow box. What memories it holds--  We got awards for reading and memorizing scriptures, keeping our health guidelines, praying, serving gladly, being a light in our home, singing, attendance, cross-stitching, knitting, and crocheting (just like in Pioneer times). 

          I remember knitting a pair of slippers, the loops of yarn so snug on my needles that they squeaked when I tried to slide them. My stitches were pulled so tightly that the slippers felt like, well, felt. I was definitely not going to become a knitter.  


          My cross-stitch pillow still has the gray, smudgy spot where I tried to erase my pencil marks. 

          And my crocheted rug and hanger covers never quite laid flat. But boy, I knocked out whatever it took to get those rhinestones, Baby!

Do you have an old treasure you’ve kept? Write and tell me about it. Meanwhile, be sure to subscribe!

No comments:

Post a Comment