Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Shots on Me


          First, I am not complaining.  Okay, I’m complaining a little bit.  I just had the second set of injections from harpoon-like needles that look like this:
          One of the techs at the medical office said these are the largest needles they have.  This came as no surprise whatsoever.
          In case you are new to this blog, I am part of a clinical trial to try out a shot that is supposed to reduce my breast cancer tumor.  And trust me, I am excited and grateful that I don’t have to do chemo.  BUT… or I should say, BUTT… these are shots I have to have every two weeks (and then every four weeks) for six months, one in each hip.
          Why not just one, gigantic shot?  I’ll tell you why.  Because there is no needle in existence-- outside the profession of whaling-- that humongous.  So they have to give me half in one shot, and half in the other side.
          But wait, there’s more!  The liquid in them is so thick that they can’t just give me the shot in the usual few seconds it takes.  No, no. Each shot takes a full minute and a half to inject it all. 
          Think about standing there in excruciating pain for 90 seconds as the nurse slo-o-o-owly injects the liquid.  NINETY SECONDS.  You can’t even find a bad commercial on television that runs that long.  And then doing it again.
          Of course, I’m grateful this stuff exists and I’ll be even more grateful if it shrinks the tumor.  But my back side is not particularly grateful right now.  Just saying.
          Have you watched my YouTube Mom videos lately?  Check ‘em out here—hundreds of life hacks in short videos that thankfully do not show my injection sites. 

4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for that. Your pictures are perfect to describe it. My son had to do testosterone shots for a while and that stuff is thick as well ... but not that thick. The big needles were needed but probably not that big. I'm so glad they have found something to try and shrink the cancer. Your humor is inspiring. I love it. This too shall pass?? XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my Joni, :( for the shot and glad you didn't have to do chemo. I watched my mom go through chemo :(. Keeping you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Between what one can find on YouTube and blog returns it's a wonder the 'medical profession' can find anyone willing to follow their scare propelled regimes. I'm no better with years of following doctor's order about diabetes - which killed my father via heart attack.Still, one wonders http://jonsthings.blogspot.com/2018/06/how-hius-works.html

    ReplyDelete