Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Write This Down

           Are you still using Number 2 pencils? I know, I know, we use pens far more often, but most of us still own a few pencils. I use one to jot on a notepad beside my bed when I get ideas in the middle of the night.

          But don’t you wonder why we’re all using #2s? Why not #1s?  Aha! Today I shall enlighten you.

          First, pencil “leads” aren’t lead, but a mixture of graphite, clay, and water. The higher the number, the harder the core, and the lighter the marking is.

          Turns out that #1 pencils have more graphite, and thus make darker markings, so sign me up! I have always thought pencil marks were too light and skinny. I’m the same way with pens. I always choose bold over the fine tip.

          But here’s why: I have terrible handwriting. It looks like I’m in 3rd grade.  This means that a wider, smudgier line is more forgiving than a sharp point, and my handwriting looks cleaner with it. You may have gorgeous printing, in which case you can use any tip you like.

          So back to #2 pencils. It’s the standard here because it’s average, right in the middle of the grading scale. But only in the US, folks. This designation doesn’t exist in the rest of the world.


          Still, why so many kinds? Art. Drafting. Some people want very precise tips. And if you want a challenge, try writing with a super-hard 10H pencil. On the other hand, I hear that Japanese pencils add wax and other additives, to give dark, yet non-smudgy results.



          Last bit of pencil trivia for you: Henry David Thoreau’s family manufactured pencils, and he worked with his father, even inventing a new way to grind the graphite.  
          And now you will never see a common pencil in the same way again.

          However, you can see my Youtube Mom videos whether you own a pencil or not. Check out dozens of life hacks on my channel!

No comments:

Post a Comment