Tuesday, July 11, 2023

St. Bob’s Phone Fake

           Two days ago I gave a talk in church. Members do most of the speaking in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and my turn rolled around.

          So I thought I’d speak about serving one another, which we do tons of—worldwide, in our communities, and even in church. We don’t have a paid ministry or paid anything; we all just volunteer, and say yes when called.

          Years ago I was president of the women’s group, and my biggest fear was that someone in our ward could die with no family to dress them. I'll explain. In our faith, many are dressed in special temple clothing, usually by family. Or, if there's no family, it's done by church members, and I was terrified to do it. 

          Well, the phone rang and Bob answered it. “Yes, yes she is. Yes, I’ll get her.”

          Now he covered the receiver and whispered to me, “It’s the Stake President. He wants you to be the Stake Dresser of the Dead.”

          ARE YOU KIDDING ME???  I’m sure I nearly fainted. A stake is roughly eight congregations! My brain immediately began conjuring up reasons why I couldn’t do this. One of them was the idea that we could even move away.


          Scared to death, pun intended, I picked up the phone and said hello. Well, it was someone else. Yes, St. Bob had pulled a fast one.  There is no such calling as Stake Dresser of the Dead.

          So I used the story in my talk to illustrate the fact that we aren’t always happy to jump in and serve, are we?

          But needless to say, I have been getting even ever since.

          This same monkey is my cameraman on my Youtube Mom videos of hundreds of life hacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment