Tuesday, February 18, 2014

My Timely Project



            I need to go to Projects Anonymous.  I keep taking on impossible projects I am certain will be easier than they actually are.  Especially when it comes to sprucing up the house, inside or out.
            The other day I decided to paint our grandfather clock.  Now, before you gasp in horror, or say, “Won’t that diminish its value?” as one of our sons did, let me just assure you that this was not a priceless antique, nor a valuable heirloom.  It was a blah, brown clock.  Here you see it next to our piano:
            First I washed it down with TSP, something a guy at the hardware store told me would remove the shiny finish.  Nope.  Then I bathed it in a chemical stripping agent.  Hardware guy was wrong again.  I sanded it with steel wool.  Still nothing.  Finally I gave up and just covered it with primer. 
            I had not calculated how many nooks and crannies were in this piece of furniture, so after a few hours I came whining to St. Bob that I think I made a mistake and was sorry I started this.
            “You always say that, with every project,” he said.
            “I do?”  I went back to work and began painting until my muscles were sore.  I was still a very long way from done, so again I went to Bob and said, “I feel like crying.”
            “You always say you feel like crying, with every project,” he said.
            Sigh.  Maybe this is true.  Soon I considered telling him that I’ve learned my lesson and I’m not going to take on any more gargantuan tasks.  But just as I headed toward him I realized he would probably tell me that I also say this every time, so I stopped.  And went back to work.
            Here’s the problem.  Okay, one of the problems.  I love MacKenzie Childs stuff.  Years ago a girlfriend gave me one of their domed cake plates:
            They also make furniture and rugs:
 
           












 










 And glassware:


            And ceramics and enamel goodies:

        













         All of it is whimsical, merry, and makes my heart sing.  It does not, however, make my wallet sing.  So I’ve tried to duplicate the look myself.  I decorated my entire kitchen around that concept, and even made a kitchen island from an old dresser, to go with the theme:  
 Then I painted a table in our family room in that style:
I even gave the end of one hallway a jazzy nod to MacKenzie Childs: 
And I’ve been dying to redo our grandfather clock this same way, but even more in keeping with the MacKenzie Childs look. They do not sell grandfather clocks, and if they did they would cost more than most cars, so I was on my own-- toiling like a MacKenzie Childs designer wannabe. 
Last week, I finally finished it.  Here’s the result:





 












It’s wild, it’s daring, and it lifts my spirits every time I walk through the door.  “I love it,” Bob says.  “I knew you could do it.”  And moments like these are why he gets the Saint status. 
Share this on Pinterest, and tell your friends to subscribe—where else can you find a person who lives so far outside the box that she paints the outside of it in wild colors?

11 comments:

  1. OH MY HELL! OH MY GOSH! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!??! It's FABULOUS!!! I'm in total awe/shock/disbelief/envy of your amazing-no-end-talent!! How long did this take you?!?!? How are you still alive?? How did you even type that post, didn't your fingers/arms fall off? Truly beautiful - inspiring - It's one-of-a-kind-perfect. Love it!!!! I subscribe to the theory that if someone really loves something then they get first dibs on something of yours...so I dib the clock...you know, in the event of your untimely demise, Bob certainly won't want it, Saints have no need for earthly things and your kids would never love it as much as me...put it in your will...I GET THE CLOCK!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are hilarious! I'm so glad you like it! xo times a million!

      Delete
  2. After more careful inspection of your pics...tell me you didn't paint the butterflies?!?! That's wallpaper or something, right? Decopauge? You are certifiable!! Not only can I still not believe you actually painted your clock...I can't believe how wonderful it is - not that you don't do wonderful but it's such a big piece and it's, it's, it's just SO UNFAIR that you OWN IT and I DON'T!!! This has put me in a very bad mood...very bad...I'm green with envy, moss green, sage green, forest green...you name the green and I'm it. I love it so very, very much. I probably love it more than you. Definitely. I do. I love it more than you. Send it to me. Crate it up and send it my way. I'll pay for shipping. I'll give it a good home. You can come and visit it. We'll talk. Geeze...it's super cool. You did good. And if you really love me you'll send it to me immediately!!! Love, Your very bestest friend in the universe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for making me laugh out loud the entire time I was reading your comment! The butterflies are from a wrapping paper made by Hollander's-- you MUST look them up online. Decoupaged it onto the inside back panel. The checks are also decoupaged from MC napkins. It took about a week to finish. You should do one-- yours would be much better! xo

      Delete
  3. Simply fabulous!!! Of course I want one too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debi! Copy away-- think how fun if a bunch of us all had MacKenzie Childs-inspired clocks! Glad to find your quiltling and cat blog, too! :)

      Delete
  4. I love your work on this clock! It's really fabulous! What was the process by which you decoupaged the napkins onto the clock? Looks amazing, and so much easier (maybe) than painting each check. Please let me know. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just used Mod Podge to apply the cut strips of napkin. BUT... it would be so much easier using their wrapping paper or wall paper, which they came out with after I finished my project! Just paint on the Mod Podge, smooth on the checkered paper, then cover again with Mod Podge for shine. And yes, much easier than painting the checks. You'd also have to highlight those checks with lavender, gold, and poppy-red, like M. C. does. Good luck and so glad you liked the clock!

      Delete
    2. So nice of you to reply! I'm going to look for their papers -- great suggestion!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe I came across your Clock !!! This is EXACTLY what I've been wanting to do to my own clock which is very similar to yours. I stare at it every day, just trying to find the time. You've inspired me.......Thanks for the tip about the wrapping paper. GREAT IDEA.

    ReplyDelete