Tuesday, April 26, 2016

The Devil and the Angel

          You know the image of an angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other?  Well, in my family this is taken quite literally. It is also when it would be nice to be deaf in one ear. 

          Within five minutes of each other, our daughter, Nicole texted me about Fed Up, a documentary on Netflix, that St. Bob and I just have to watch, about how sugar is a poison and how the food industry is killing our health.


And in the next breath I got a text from her brother, Brandon, telling me about a fabulous new chocolate cake recipe that originated in Brooklyn.
And so, dutiful mother that I am, I have already watched the documentary and must admit it is very compelling and makes me want to revamp my entire approach to eating.
But… I also read the recipe for that cake and am salivating, just thinking about it.  Here is a link to the recipe, along with a warning about how difficult it is to make. (Note that they tell you it should be eaten within 24 hours, as if a cake like this could last even two.)
  And so here I am, on the horns of a dilemma.  I’ve had dessert for breakfast, as well as for dessert, every day of my life.  But I also know this might be a teensy bit over the line.  So which way do I go, which path do I choose?  Which child becomes my mascot, my guide, my director? 
I think I’m going to have to compromise.  I will make some changes in my grocery shopping and eating.  But I will allow myself the occasional treat, remembering that it’s the day-to-day habits that control our health, not the special occasion splurges.  Or, as Brandon later texted, “Moderation in all cakes.”

Hey, a good way to diet AND splurge, is to get caught up in one of my novels.  That way you’re not eating, but you’re still enjoying a treat.  Find ‘em here and dig in!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete